Tuesday, July 05, 2011

making a sandwich....



I did manage to work a little more on my table mats on Thursday night. I still have one top to piece, but I was so eager to see it come together that I started assembling the first one. I am by no means a expert when it comes to quilting -- I've just learned from observation and experimentation. This makes for a fairly relaxed way of working, but there are always a few bumps along the way (sometimes literally!)

I sewed a few pieces of blackish denim together for the back...and then taped it down on the floor. Laid the batting on top, and then taped the pieced "top" on top of that to make my sandwich. Thursday's quick visit to my local quilt shop yielded some great curved safety pins for basting it all together -- as well as a really cool tool to help push the point through the fabric and then lift it up to close the pin (without hurting your fingers!). Both a time and a sanity saving tool wrapped up in one! :-D

I did start quilting a bit, but have loads more still to do. I will work on that tonight....